Thursday, November 11, 2010

William The Conqueror

Me: Hi, William I’m here to ask you all about your rule in England. So how did you become the ruler?

William: Well, in England, King Edward had died without an heir to the throne. They appointed a ruler named Harold Godwinson who should not have been on the throne in England.  At the time, I was a duke in Normandy and I believed that I was supposed to be the ruler of England. So I fought Harold and I won in the Battle of Hastings. I was crowned King in 1066.

Me: What did you do for the government in England?

William: I did many things. I granted fiefs (land) to lords and the church.  I thought it was a good idea because I thought the church would like me if I gave them land to put their churches on, and they would have more money if they had more land.

Me: Did you do anything else that you thought was important to the English government?

William: Yes.  I made a lot of castles and I watched over a lot of castles to make sure that England was fine.  I made all vassals swear to have an allegiance to me, and I made the Doomsday book. The Doomsday Book was the census of the kingdom.  I used it to tax people on what they should be taxed on.  People didn’t really like this, but it helped the government.



William the Conqueror made the Executive branch in today’s government.  His rule and what he did with the government is very important for us today.

Carelton, Mr. "William the Conquerer." Seaholm High School. Mr. Carelton . Seaholm High School, Brimingham High School. 3 Nov. 2010. Lecture.

No comments:

Post a Comment